2.21.2010

The freaks are coming! Leave the children!

Alright kiddies, it's time for Freak Show - a method that Katie, my wife Nikki, and I have concocted in order to help everyone stretch their creativity a bit, as well as having some fun in the process.

In the previous post, Katie has left a link for the sign-up sheet for this week's challenge. As you have probably have guessed, this has to do with character design. The sign-up form is just the beginning! HURR HURR HURR!! (uhh, I guess that's my evil laugh . . . )

The sign-up is until Wednesday night at 12am (so you have until the 24th).

Now here's the kicker: the form you fill out is not actually for you. I'm going to cut all of these traits every one has sent me, scramble them up, and assign them to random people. Once you get your assignment, you must pick six of those nine descriptions (no more! no less!) and use them to create an original character. It must be obvious what attributes were assigned to you (so if you get the color "red," and draw your character with a little red dot somewhere on the back of his head, I will beat you with a crippled child) This exercise is meant to take us out of our comfort zones, and throw us into the creative oceans. You are given until Sunday at midnight (Feb. 28) to complete the challenge by emailing your art to me.

You may say, "Well, I have a lot going on in my life. I have two jobs, my uncle just married a housecat, and I'm pretty sure my left arm is missing." Nonsense, I say! This contest measures creativity, not art skill. So if you have only five minutes to draw, that is by all means FINE BY ME. But go into this thinking about what to do during your day, coming up with new ideas and scrapping those that don't work. At the end, I want to push everyone into being amazed by what they came up with. By the end, we'll have a lot of laughs and agree that I am frickin' awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment